Water and iron are two essential elements we need to maintain good health. Without sufficient iron, our bodies could suffer with anemia, shortness of breath, and damaged skin cells.
That said, too much iron can lead to serious health problems. If your drinking water has too much iron, you need to remove iron from your home water system. Here are some effective ways to filter iron out of your drinking water.
What Are the Harmful Effects of Drinking Iron in Water?
Low iron levels usually do not cause concern health-wise, depending on the overall health of the homeowners. With high levels of iron in the home water system, however, there can be symptoms and disorders that range from mild to life-threatening.
Affects Your Skin
As iron penetrates the bloodstream, the skin cells can be adversely affected. Skin conditions such as blackheads and acne can be seen with high levels. The skin cells can also become damaged and lead to premature wrinkles.
Affects Your Health
Too much iron in the home water system can lead to serious health disorders. Our body contains hepcidin, a hormone that regulates iron levels by suppressing absorption of the mineral.
While our immune system uses iron to help fight infections, high levels stimulate development of harmful bacteria and viruses, causing the risk of infections.
May Allow Bacteria to Grow
Too much iron can be an invitation for harmful bacteria to grow and spread. Bacteria requires and thrives on iron to survive. If your home drinking water contains elevated levels of iron, there is a higher risk for bacterial infections.
Can Damage Your Internal Organs
Small amounts of iron in your water supply shouldn’t cause any adverse effects on your internal organs, but with extremely high levels it’s cause for concern. As the iron is carried in the bloodstream to all organs, any accumulation is stored in these organs.
4 Effective Ways to Remove Iron from Your Whole Home Water
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), 0.3 milligrams of iron per litre of water is considered to be a safe level. To achieve this state, there are ways to remove iron from home water systems.
Verify the Quality of Your Well Water
First, know how much iron is in the water with a test to measure the level. With health concerns, it is recommended to have the quality of the water tested by a professional firm who can help with solutions in cases of high levels.
Chlorine Shocking Your Water System
Iron can cause a slimy bacteria matter to form within the pipes and drains of your home. Using chlorine to shock the well system can help remove this potentially harmful substance. The chemical concentration of the chlorine removes the ability for bacteria to bind with the iron particles. The iron is then filtered over a 24-hour cycle before the chlorine is flushed out of the water system.
Choose from a Variety of Water Filtration Systems
For a primary iron removal system for house water, there are a variety of filtration systems on the market. Each line of water filtration system offers specific advantages, all with the same goal of providing fresh, healthy drinking water.
- Whole House Iron Water Filter System: The water you drink from your kitchen tap should be as clean and fresh as the water from the taps in the bathroom, guest quarters, and yard hose. A whole home iron removal system can provide top-quality drinking water from every house source. The whole house iron water filter is designed with an oxidizing media bed to trap iron particles. The system then converts these particles into an insoluble state for the filter to stop the iron from entering the drinking water.
- Advanced 7-Stage Water Filtration System: An advanced 7-stage water filtration system can be installed directly onto the water line. This unique system has seven separate filtration stages to provide the freshest and most pure drinking water. The contaminants that can be seen in unfiltered water includes fluoride, harmful microorganisms, colloidal and particulate matter, pesticides, total dissolved solids, and toxins. It also targets water treatment plant by-products and groundwater metals.
- Whole Home Ultraviolet Water Treatment System: A whole home ultraviolet water treatment system uses the technology of UV light to cleanse as opposed to using chemicals. The UV light targets the DNA of microorganisms to eliminate viruses and bacteria. By attacking the cell walls, the UV light stops reproduction and ends the life of the cell.
- Whole Home Filter System (WHF): A whole home filter system is a two-stage approach to clean water. This system consists of one filter for sediments, and the other to absorb odour and foul tastes. The whole home filter system can be used in homes to reduce iron, chlorine, rust particles, and silt.
- Whole Home Water Conditioning System: In addition to a filtration system, one may opt for a whole home water conditioning system. There are two main systems to choose from in order to eliminate iron and chlorine. The City Soft system is an all-in-one filter and salt storage structure. It features a polyethylene brine tank, a fiberglass tank, a high-flow distributor, a quartz support bed, a chlorine filter, and a conditioning force. The Country Soft system offers all the features of the city option with additional iron removal filters.
Work with Professional and Reputed Dealers in Ontario
The installation and maintenance of any water filtrating system should be managed by a professional and reputed dealer. A filtering system, particularly a whole home water filtration unit, can consist of a complex structure and delicate components.
Contact Georgian Water & Air in Ontario to Remove Iron from Your Whole Home Water
Georgian Water and Air is a leading water filtration and purification company in Ontario. Our whole home water filtration systems are available in four options and are able to meet your home or cottage needs.
If you are looking for ways to remove iron from your water, contact us today for a complimentary in-home water analysis.